Monday 22 December 2014

project- feed in!


Since this unit is focused on sketch, I've been considering the importance of my design-development drawings more in my textiles practise. As part of our assessment this term, I produced a look book telling the story of my jewellery pieces (which were my final outcome for the project). Initially I just included my colour palettes and research photos in the look book, to show influence of where my ideas had stemmed from. However, while I was putting the file together on indesign, I was thinking about our sketch sessions, and how drawing is actually a very key part of the design journey- it helps communicate how I worked out how to assemble and construct my pieces...so, I scanned in some of my sketches relating to my project development, and in-dispersed them through certain parts of my lookbook.  When we had our exhibition, lots of people commented to me that the look book worked really well, and that seeing the 'behind-the-scenes' parts of my project, such as the sketches and photos of the making process, really added to people's understanding and appreciation of my final pieces.

I wouldn't have thought to have given prevalence to my sketches and design process in my look book if it hadn't been for the influence of this module- so thank you Sketch Innovation Fridays! 

My jewellery pieces, selected samples and look book in the BA Textiles 'colour exhibition'

view of inside look book- with photo of sketches/development making included on right hand page

No comments:

Post a Comment