Tuesday 23 December 2014

final session

I enjoyed our final sketch innovation session- although it's sad to think the module is now over. There's so much still to develop and learn about book binding (and so many little books I want to make and use!), but at least now I've been introduced to the basics, and am armed with my bone fold, I am ready to continue on with book-making adventures after this unit.

This session we reflected on things we've done, and wrote out our own self-evaluations. Although this has only been one term, we've covered quite a lot of ground in our sessions. I'm really glad I picked this TOP module- I've really valued the chance to explore and experiment. And especially when things got a little stressful in the studio with textiles deadlines and work to be done for my project, it was great to have this as a different sort of creative outlet. I didn't feel stressed during this module- I felt like I had the freedom to try things out, and take them to whatever extent I wanted to. I've been thinking a lot about the creative process, and how failures and unexpected outcomes often lead to great work- so I am hoping to carry through this mindset into my textiles work again, because I always want to be having fun and surprising myself with what I do. I've enjoyed getting back to basics and rethinking again for myself what 'sketching' and 'innovation' even mean. It's good to place value on all stages of the creative process- because if it wasn't for little doodles in the back of a sketchbook, and scrawly ideas scribbled out over scrap pieces of paper that get taped into my research files, my projects would never reach their end points. I am leaving this module with a renewed appreciation for the way ideas develop and take us on a journey from our initial inspiration, to final outcomes. I'm really grateful that I got to take this module- even if I did get lost on my way to the room pretty much every week of the term, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment